WordPress is the one of the most popular CMS (Content Management System) platforms used by many businesses on the internet. In the decade of its existence, WordPress, has become an essential part of the internet, powering about 25% of all websites. It provides you incredible technical support to customize a website that best suits your business purposes. It caters to your business online development initiative with content management system facilities. WordPress allows the users to build a highly customizable website of their preference, and this manner makes it popular. Amazingly, the WordPress Development gives opportunities for a great number of large and small enterprises to update, edit, change or modify the content of their website in the most convenient manner. As a result of this, hackers and spammers have taken keen interest in breaking the security of WP-operated sites.
Many people think about WordPress security in the same way that they think about physical security in the real world. But that’s not the case. In this post, we’re going to discuss about the the best 3 WordPress security plugins that can help reduce the risk of your website being hacked. These security plugins offer several features to make your WordPress CMS secure from known vulnerabilities. Lets discuss about the top security plugins that can be used to keep your WordPress site secured:
WordFence is one of the most popular WordPress security plugins. It covers login security, IP blocking, security scanning, and WordPress firewall and monitoring. Wordfence Security is 100% free and open source and is Multi-Site compatible and includes Cellphone Sign-in which permanently secures your WordPress website from brute force hacks. The plugin is great for beginners and pro users alike.Wordfence Live Traffic view gives you real-time visibility into traffic and hack attempts on your WordPress website. Here i list some of the important security features.
- Web Application Firewall stops you from getting hacked by identifying malicious traffic, blocking attackers before they can access your website.
- Threat Defense Feed automatically updates firewall rules that protect you from the latest threats.
- Block common WordPress security threats like fake Googlebots, malicious scans from hackers and botnets.
- Real-time blocking of known attackers. If another site using Wordfence is attacked and blocks the attacker, your site is automatically protected.
- Block entire malicious networks. Includes advanced IP and Domain WHOIS to report malicious IP’s or networks and block entire networks using the firewall. Report WordPress security threats to network owner.
- Rate limit or block WordPress security threats like aggressive crawlers, scrapers and bots doing security scans for vulnerabilities in your site.
- Choose whether you want to block or throttle users and robots who break your WordPress security rules.
- Scans for the HeartBleed vulnerability – included in the free scan for all users.
- Scans core files, themes and plugins against WordPress.org repository versions to check their integrity. Verify security of your source.
- See how files have changed. Optionally repair changed files that are security threats.
- Scans for signatures of over 44,000 known malware variants that are known WordPress security threats.
- Continuously scans for malware and phishing URL’s including all URLs on the Google Safe Browsing List in all your comments, posts and files that are security threats.
- See all your traffic in real-time, including robots, humans, 404 errors, logins and logouts and who is consuming most of your content. Enhances your situational awareness of which security threats your site is facing.
- Real-time traffic includes reverse DNS and city-level geolocation. Know which geographic area security threats originate from.
- Monitor your DNS security for unauthorized DNS changes.
- Monitors disk space which is related to security because many DDoS attacks attempt to consume all disk space to create denial of service.
The Wordfence WordPress security plugin is full-featured and constantly updated to incorporate the latest security features and to hunt for the newest security threats to your WordPress website.
iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) gives you over 30+ ways to secure and protect your WordPress site. It strengthens user credentials by fixing common vulnerabilities and automated attacks.With advanced features for experienced users, this security plugin can help harden WordPress. iThemes has been building and supporting WordPress tools since 2008. The plugin is available in both free and premium versions. There is also iThemes Brute Force Attack Protection Network
iThemes Security takes brute force attack protection to the next level by banning users who have tried to break into other sites from breaking into yours. The iThemes Brute Force Attack Protection Network will automatically report IP addresses of failed login attempts and will block them for a length of time necessary to protect your site based on the number of sites that have seen a similar attack. It also protects your site by blocking bad users and increasing the security of passwords and other vital information. iThemes Security monitors your site and reports changes to the filesystem and database that might indicate a compromise. iThemes Security also works to detect bots and other attempts to search vulnerabilities.It also hides common WordPress security vulnerabilities, preventing attackers from learning too much about your site and away from sensitive areas like your site’s login, admin, etc and makes regular backups of your WordPress database, allowing you to get back online quickly in the event of an attack. Use iThemes Security to create and email database backups on a customizable schedule.
3.ALL IN ONE WPSECURITY & FIREWALL
The All In One WordPress Security plugin will take your website security to a whole new level. It has a user-friendly interface for those who are not familiar with advanced security settings. This plugin is designed and written by experts and is easy to use and understand. It reduces security risk by checking for vulnerabilities, and by implementing and enforcing the latest recommended WordPress security practices and techniques. All In One WP Security also uses an unprecedented security points grading system to measure how well you are protecting your site based on the security features you have activated. The security and firewall rules are categorized into “basic”, “intermediate” and “advanced”. This way you can apply the firewall rules progressively without breaking your site’s functionality. This Plugin is 100% free. Below i listed down some of the security and firewall features offered in this plugin:
User Accounts Security
- Detect if there is a user account which has the default “admin” username and easily change the username to a value of your choice.
- The plugin will also detect if you have any WordPress user accounts which have identical login and display names. Having account’s where display name is identical to login name is bad security practice because you are making it 50% easier for hackers because they already know the login name.
- Password strength tool to allow you to create very strong passwords.
User Login Security
Protect against “Brute Force Login Attack” with the Login Lockdown feature. Users with a certain IP address or range will be locked out of the system for a predetermined amount of time based on the configuration settings and you can also choose to be notified via email whenever somebody gets locked out due to too many login attempts.
As the administrator you can view a list of all locked out users which are displayed in an easily readable and navigable table which also allows you to unlock individual or bulk IP addresses at the click of a button.
Force logout of all users after a configurable time period
User Registration Security
- Enable manual approval of WordPress user accounts. If your site allows people to create their own accounts via the WordPress registration form, then you can minimize SPAM or bogus registrations by manually approving each registration.
- Ability to add captcha to the WordPress user registration page to protect you from spam user registration.
- Ban users by specifying IP addresses or use a wild card to specify IP ranges.
- Ban users by specifying user agents.
- Firewall Functionality
- This plugin allows you to easily add a lot of firewall protection to your site via htaccess file. An htaccess file is processed by your web server before any other code on your site. So these firewall rules will stop malicious script(s) before it gets a chance to reach the WordPress code on your site.
With an increasing number of hacking attacks, it is necessary to have security in your WordPress website. These three security plugins mentioned above will help you. For users who don’t know much about code, plugins are the best ways to secure your blog. Most of them are free, safe and easily usable.